Education in The Gambia is not obligatory and a lot of families struggle to afford to send their children to school. In the Gambia education remains a privilege – not a right.
Fajara Rotary education and literacy development projects ensure maximum impact and a long term return on investment by training and equipping local trainers, lecturers and teachers to mange the development and delivery of educational training programs that empower schools in disadvantaged and under developed communities in The Gambia.
Rotary Club provides support to local schools and colleges in The Gambia by funding the construction of classrooms and school facilities, teacher training and the supply of educational materials.
Volunteer educational professionals, teachers, lecturers, trainers, social workers, counselors and anybody experienced in the education sector are always needed for projects organised by the Fajara Rotary Club.
Rotary International educational goal is to strengthen the capacity of communities to support basic education and literacy, reduce gender disparity in education, and increase adult literacy. We support education for all children and literacy for children and adults.
Fajara Rotary Club is working to build sustainable educational projects that improve and expand access to learning and training in the underdeveloped areas of The Gambia.
Fajara Rotary Club Projects
- provision of solar lighting system to ST john s school for the deaf in may 2009 worth USD52,000
- organized career day for youth in November 2009 for 20 school in the greater Banjul area this give the students the opportunity to see hear and discuss career OPPURTUNITIES and requirements with professionals Businessmen and women representing a wide range of vocations
- provision of classroom furniture for the BRIKAMA lower basic school in the Western region worth USD16,141.00 in AQGUST 2007
- six years continuous scholarship for a total of fourteen children in grate one to six in Bakau lower basic school CAMPAMA lower basic school and the GAMBIA organization of the visually impaired which completed in 2008
- supervision of the production of classroom furniture for BABYLONE Nursery school in the Western region
- rehabilitation of the KEBBA JARJU memorial nursery school in TABAKOTO in 2006
- Donated school material to MAYOUK and SIFFOE upper basic school in 2006/7
- Donated a ford transit van to les Amis de GAMBIA SINCHU ORPHANAGE Kombo north
- Distribution of 250 bicycles under the Bicycles for school project to middle and senior secondary school in the GAMBIA
- full sponsorship for 26 needy student lower and upper basic senior secondary school and technical school through the YATU SARR education found of the club sine 2004 to date
- Nine youths attended the rotary youth leadership Awards in 2003 in the USA
- provided school furniture for 2 classroom to BRIKAMA lower basic school in 2003
- Distributed a container of 250,000 books to school nationwide including the university of the GAMBIA in 2003
- Presented computers to the national Library Internet service in 2003
- sponsored several needy students to pursue their studies from lower basic school up to GTTI
- Presented books, upgraded and reconditioned computers to ARMITAGE and NASIR senior secondary school in 2002